6 Tips on How to Deal With Harsh Criticisms
By Nelson Berry
It’s something you least expect-a comment so harsh and offensive you wished you never asked for it or even heard about it. But you can never really stop people from giving it to you. The next best thing you should learn is how to deal with it.
1. Learn to let it go. Not all criticisms are good for you. There are some destructive ones, and negative criticisms are just that-negative. They create ill feelings such as guilt, remorse, shame, and lack of self-confidence. If you allow these comments to shape you, then you’re going to be in a very miserable state.
You should just ignore them. Try your best to completely forget about them.
2. Be sure of yourself. A common reason why harsh criticisms affect you so much is you are unsure of who you are. Because you don’t have a clear idea of what type of person you are, you allow these criticisms to shape or define you.
That’s why you need to find out who you really are. Ask yourself the following questions:
- What type of personality do I have?
- What are the things I’m really good at?
- What are my strengths and my weaknesses?
3. Admit that you’re hurt. To say you’re not affected is usually unbelievable. Whether you like it or not, you will still feel an ounce of pain or hurt, and sometimes you need to admit it to yourself and even to the critic. The person may not be fully aware of the effects of his criticisms on you.
4. Use the lesson. Though majority of the ill criticisms are worth ignoring, a number of them may be gems. You can call it tough love. Don’t let them go to waste by learning some few lessons. Perhaps you definitely need to make some drastic improvements on yourself. Push yourself more so you can attain your maximum potential as a person.
5. Be angry then move on. It’s normal to feel bad or even angry when someone tries to insult or offend you. But you have to put a limit to it. As mentioned, you should learn to control or eliminate these negative emotions. You should not allow negative words to dictate how you’re going to live your life or pursue your passion.
6. Fill your life with hope and positivity. You can offset these negative criticisms by becoming a more positive person.