His most famous and influential work, The Four Agreements, was published in 1997 and has sold around 4 million copies. It was featured on the Oprah television show, and advocates personal freedom from agreements and beliefs that we have made with ourselves and others that are creating limitation and unhappiness in our lives. Ultimately, it is about finding one’s own integrity, self-love, and peace by way of absolving oneself from responsibility for the woes of others. The Four Agreements are:
- Be Impeccable With Your Word.
- Don’t Take Anything Personally.
- Don’t Make Assumptions.
- Always Do Your Best.
Ruiz also wrote a workbook as a companion to The Four Agreements. He then wrote several other books, including The Voice of Knowledge, Prayers, and The Mastery of Love.
Ruiz has subsequently released a sequel, The Fifth Agreement, which adds a further agreement:
- 5. Be Skeptical.
In Mary Carroll Nelson’s Beyond Fear, he discusses some of his beliefs through a series of interviews, including his belief in the legend of Atlantis; his belief that the sun entered its sixth age on January 11, 1992, which should lead to a new age for humanity; and his belief in the spiritual power of the pyramid of the sun at Teotihuacan. He can speak English. He often lectures and leads retreats in the United States. Many of his students are American. In 2002 he suffered a massive heart attack, but has since recovered. He has handed the Eagle-Knight lineage over to his son Don José Luis.
- The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Wisdom (A Toltec Wisdom Book), 1997, Amber-Allen Publishing, ISBN 1878424319
- Beyond Fear: A Toltec Guide to Freedom and Joy – The Teachings of Don Miguel Ruiz, 1997, Council Oak Books, ISBN 1571780386
- The Mastery of Love: A Practical Guide to the Art of Relationship (Toltec Wisdom Book), 1999, Amber-Allen Publishing, ISBN 1878424424
- The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom, A Toltec Wisdom Book [Special Edition], 2001, Amber-Allen Publishing, ISBN 1878424505
- Prayers: A Communion with Our Creator (Toltec Wisdom), 2001, Amber-Allen Publishing, ISBN 1878424521
- Wisdom from the Four Agreements (Charming Petites), 2003, Peter Pauper Press, ISBN 088088990X
- Wisdom from the Mastery of Love (Charming Petites), 2003, Peter Pauper Press, ISBN 0880884258
- The Voice of Knowledge: A Practical Guide To Inner Peace, 2004, Amber-Allen Publishing, ISBN 1878424548
- The Fifth Agreement: A Practical Guide to Self-Mastery, 2010, Amber-Allen Publishing, ISBN 978-1-878424-686